Nominations for YFS positions open tomorrow

(Courtesy of YFS)

The nomination period for the upcoming York Federation of Students (YFS) election begins February 24, with executive, faculty director, and college director positions opening for potential candidates. The candidate nomination period will run just over a week, and closes on March 5. 

The YFS executive board is chosen by the students of York who vote for their preferred candidates following the campaign period beginning March 8 to March 19. As VP of Campus Life Jaskarn Duhra for YFS explains, for a candidate to be considered for a position, they must be nominated by their peers.

“Each person must retrieve a certain amount of nominations from their college, faculty, or general undergraduate membership based on the position they’re hoping to run for,” he says. The exact number of signatures required for each position has yet to be publicly disclosed. 

“This is a time for interested students to let their intentions be known to the constituents they are hoping to represent,” says YFS’ Stong College Director Molly Houlton. “This is a way for the membership to have a say in whether or not they see you fit to be in a position of leadership and to represent your voice.”

YFS President Kien Azinwi encourages all interested students to get involved with the Federation, emphasizing the responsibility of becoming a spokesperson for over 50,000 students.

“The YFS elections are important because they are a chance for the membership to elect who they want to be their voice,” Azinwi says. “It is a chance for students to see themselves reflected in their union, and to trust that those they elect will always put the needs of students first.”

According to Azinwi, the pandemic has forced the organization to reimagine what student leadership and support for students entails. The 2021 YFS election period will be conducted distinctly different than in years past, as the nomination, campaigning, and election processes will be run remotely. However, there is currently little information available on the specifics of how the online nominations and election will take place.

YFS outlines on their website that more information on the nomination package will be posted soon. 

Duhra ensures that although the duties of his position have shifted to an online format, (those of which includes overseeing programs, events, and campus life experiences for students), his enjoyment working with YFS did not waver as a result.

“I’ve learned an incredible amount of knowledge and developed my personal and professional skills with the privilege of this position; it has given me the tools to adapt to any work environment,” he says. 

VP of Campaigns and Advocacy for YFS, Jessie Whyte, outlines the responsibility that comes with their position and urges students to get involved. 

“I had the privilege of being elected into this position, and respecting the trust that students have placed in me has been an honour,” Whyte says. 

“I really encourage students to engage with their democratic right to elect the leadership that they would like to see represent them in their student union.”

By Sarah Garofalo

Sarah is in her fourth year of Film Studies at York University. She is passionate about using writing as a tool to educate herself and introduce others to hidden stories and new ideas. In the future, she hopes to continue her studies in film and merge it with her love of writing and journalism. You can always find Sarah sketching, painting or endlessly watching films while waiting to get back into movie theatres.