Youth housing crisis

(Courtesy of Pexels)

Students have been one of the hardest-hit demographics in regards to the labour market. As the fall semester begins, students losing their jobs may be the biggest factor in a potential housing market crash

According to Anthony Barbisan, York executive director of Ancillary Services, “demands for both undergraduate residences and the York Apartments declined this fall.”This decline can be credited to the switch to mainly online course delivery, as well as the various travel restrictions that remain in place. 

“I have a bachelor apartment, in a building built for students that is more affordable than pretty much anywhere else in Toronto that I looked for. The proximity to campus is also a selling point. With practicum hours, your commute basically cuts into your sleeping time, so living near campus is important,” says Vera Oleynikova, a third-year theatre production and design student.

Oleynikova further adds: “The only way I can afford this place in Toronto is by living in York’s mature student housing. This year, I more or less made the decision to live alone. Sure, it’s pricier, but I find you save money as well. Now that I have my own kitchen, I don’t have to share. I am much more likely to cook for myself, which saves me a lot of money on not ordering take-out.”

I begin to question if there was any point in getting an education at all. It is hard to see much purpose in getting a degree if half of my income will be spent towards keeping a home where I can pursue my career.

Deciding to prioritize their mental health and improved lifestyle choices has further pushed students away from Toronto’s packed housing market. This is corroborated by Oleynikova, who prefers the atmosphere of student housing to that of a shared Toronto apartment.  “Living on campus is better for my mental health too. I really need a good night’s sleep and that is not always possible with roommates.”

Turmoil and confusion surrounding an unfamiliar housing landscape has encouraged many students to simply distract themselves from the problem at hand. 

“It’s not surprising that I meet so many young adults with a cavalier nature about world issues,” says Connor Williamson, a third-year theatre studies student. “It’s easier to push these thoughts aside, rather than create stress wondering whether you will even have a place to live when you are finished with school.”

In terms of the future of housing and how things will play out, Williamson wonders about the long-lasting effects. “I’ll need to live in Toronto for my chosen career, but now I need to consider whether this crisis has already taken away my chances of finding a place to live.”

Being trapped in the middle of the crisis has fostered a jaded outlook for many students. “I begin to question if there was any point in getting an education at all. It is hard to see much purpose in getting a degree if half of my income will be spent towards keeping a home where I can pursue my career,” adds Williamson.

Maximum occupancy in the undergraduate residences was limited to approximately 50 per cent of normal levels and occupancy is currently below that.

For now, those still completing their studies can still find reassurance in student housing. York has committed itself to providing a safe and enjoyable experience for students who require residencies with strict COVID-19 guidelines in play. 

Barbisan states that the appropriate adjustments have been made for students living on residence to abide by physical distancing rules. “Maximum occupancy in the undergraduate residences was limited to approximately 50 per cent of normal levels and occupancy is currently below that.” 

Ovelynikova further echoes York’s mission: “I understand that a lot of young people, especially students, cannot afford to live alone. It took me years to be able to do this. And again, this is possible because the York student apartments are cheaper than market rent.”

By Wasifa Noshin