Confirmed cases of COVID-19 at York’s Quad residence

(Courtesy of The Quad at York)

Officials have confirmed that three residents at The Quad tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday. The affected individuals are self-isolating, and The Quad has stated that it will continue to maintain the cleaning and sanitizing procedures it has had in place since June.

“Under the advice of public health officials, the individuals will continue to self-quarantine and conduct themselves in a manner so as not to expose any other person to infection,” The Quad stated in a release emailed to its residents. “Procedures that have been in place since March to increase the cleaning and disinfecting of common areas multiple times a day, with a focus on high traffic areas will continue.”

These new cases are reflective of an upsurge across the province. As of Monday, Ontario reports 425 new cases, the highest number in over three months. However, new regulations came down on Saturday, with gathering sizes being slashed to 10 people indoors, and 25 people outdoors. 

Notably for students, over half of these reported cases are people under 40 years old.

The university has expressed a commitment to remaining open about developments regarding the spread of the pandemic on campus.

“York is aware of three positive COVID-19 cases of community members who have been on our campuses recently,” says Yanni Dagonas, York’s deputy spokesperson. “While disclosures of COVID-19 and other personal information will be treated as strictly confidential, we are committed to being transparent with our community about known cases on our campus.”

The Quad has attempted to discourage the spread of false information, encouraging residents to remain calm and adhere to the facts.

“We strongly encourage you to not speculate or proliferate any unverified information,” they stated in the release. Instead, students are advised to refer to trusted government sources when seeking information regarding COVID-19.

“York expects any member of our community exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or has symptoms of COVID-19 to immediately self-isolate, self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and contact Toronto Public Health, Telehealth Ontario or a doctor to determine if they should be tested for COVID-19,” adds Dagonas. 

With files from Wasifa Noshin

By Sakeina Syed

Sakeina Syed is a former Excalibur news editor, and remains a dedicated Excalibur reader.