Lua Shayenne Dance Company presents WATER SPIRIT & FRONTIERS | FRONTIÈRES

Photo Courtesy of Lua Shayenne Dance Company

From Jan. 25 to 27, Lua Shayenne Dance Company presented WATER SPIRIT & FRONTIERS | FRONTIÈRES at the Betty Oliphant Theatre. LSDC is a company that is inspired by and shares the culture of the African diaspora, and its rich diversity.

Kemora Manning, a third-year dance student, performed in this new choreography created by Lua Shayenne.

“I had worked with Yensa Festival: a celebration of Black women in dance, an international biannual festival founded by Lua Shayenne, during March of 2023. Myself and three other phenomenal black dancers, were part of a video campaign for International Women’s Day. When Lua began the choreographic process, she reached out to me to be a part of the production. I, of course, enthusiastically agreed,” explains Manning.

While she especially enjoys West African dance, Manning adds that it was enjoyable working with the others involved in the project. “A few of the cast members have taught me in the past, so it’s also really interesting working with them in this new capacity. It’s been a bit of a balancing act returning to my full-time school schedule on top of rehearsals, but dancers are used to the hustle! As always, being in a new creative process gives you ideas for your own creative process.”

Lua Shayenne, the choreographer and artistic director, shares that the choreographic process of this performance is a culmination of personal experiences and copious amounts of research, and that the creation of her latest works have been both challenging and enlightening.

“Delving into the intricacies of each character’s backstory, goals, and needs has been a transformative experience. This process has not only fueled my passion for storytelling but has also compelled me to narrate significant and impactful stories. Throughout, my faith has been tested, acknowledging a force beyond me steering the creative course. The challenges of this unique creative journey prompted personal and professional adaptations, pushing me beyond my comfort zone into uncharted territories. It’s unlike any other experience I’ve encountered, but I prayed fervently for its significance and impact — and it has exceeded my expectations, continuing to do so,” says Shayenne.

“This production stands out as my best yet, primarily because I embraced every moment, invested my utmost effort, collaborated with exceptional professionals, did my best to set aside my ego, and allowed the work to transcend my individuality. Gratitude fills me for the wonder and mystery that accompanied this process, and, ultimately, through the grace of the Almighty, everything seamlessly came together. My hope is that these works will imprint on audiences and make them reflect on the themes,” Shayenne adds.

To learn more about LSDC, click here.

By Sydney Ewert

Arts Editor

arts@excal.on.ca

Sydney is in her third year at York University studying Dance. She loves to travel and explore new places. When Sydney is not editing, working, or studying for her classes, she is likely going for walks or learning new recipes.