The Chamber Choir: A culmination of musical excellence and community

(Courtesy of York University)

On Tuesday, Nov. 14, the York University Chamber Choir will perform at the Tribute Communities Recital Hall. Directed by Dr. Lisette Canton and accompanied by Edward Moroney, both music professors, this performance will include works from Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Michael Coghlan, David Lang, and many more. 

“I have loved working with and building the chamber choir over almost two decades,” shares Canton. “This top ensemble consists of advanced undergraduate voice majors from the music department, as well as those who play other instruments, graduate students, and singers from other disciplines and the community who have choral experience.”

This performance will also present Johann Sebastian Bach’s Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme, BWV 140, which will be accompanied by York professors Dr. Amy Hillis, Dr. Mark Chambers, and Stephanie Martin, as well as undergraduate oboist Samuel Bugtor in the instrumental ensemble.

“The repertoire is as diverse as the United Nations, but without the negativity and the warfare. In the York Chamber Choir, we are exposed to an infinite variety of styles, composers whose works span 500 years, singing in many languages,” adds Moroney.

Canton explains that the group has had the opportunity to reach international audiences, as well as hone their craft professionally. “The chamber choir, which has collaborated with other ensembles, gone on two European tours, and performed at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center, includes singers who also sing in various ensembles in the GTA and beyond, with many going on to professional careers in voice, conducting, and more.”

In addition to its artistic achievements, the chamber choir offers a place where community members can come together and bond over their similar interests and goals. What’s more, according to Oxford University, is that group singing has the ability to help create special bonds.

“The singers form friendships which often last a lifetime; these span various age groups. Conductors will notice you and invite you to be a part of other artistic challenges. Choral singers have a special view of the world, due to having been introduced to the language, culture, religions and politics of many centuries,” says Moroney. 

Moroney further adds that even though the singers come from many diverse backgrounds and experiences, “We all offer each other an artistic camaraderie, second to none.”

To learn more about this performance or to purchase tickets, click here.

By Sydney Ewert

Arts Editor

arts@excal.on.ca

Sydney is in her third year at York University studying Dance. She loves to travel and explore new places. When Sydney is not editing, working, or studying for her classes, she is likely going for walks or learning new recipes.