Love in the Time of Werewolves with Theatre @ York

From Nov. 20 – 26, Theatre @ York presents Love in the Time of Werewolves, a new production showcasing a comedic perspective of the politics and chaos of life backstage, and all the drama that comes with being involved in theatre.

Love in the Time of Werewolves is a comedic thriller that leaves you on the edge of your seat,” explains Eric Amaral, a fourth-year student majoring in Devised Theatre, who is also filling the role of assistant director. 

Rachel Quintanilla, a fourth-year theatre student, is playing the role of Carmen Castillo, the director of the community centre, where audiences can see the cast working on the production of Song of Chrysanthemums.

As an original play written by Canadian playwright David Yee and directed by Diana Belshaw, Quintanilla explains that audiences can expect themes of love affairs, bullying, and hierarchies, among others.

“It is a play within a play that reveals a backstage access perspective to the world of community theatre. It is a farce that deals with the drama of putting on a production. […] This play is a lot of fun to watch, with chaos, plot twists, and great jokes intended for all ages to understand. Be ready to laugh because I can assure you there won’t be a dull moment,” says Quintanilla.

Born and raised in Toronto, David Yee is the co-founding artistic director of fu-GEN Theatre Company, a leading Asian Canadian theatre company in Canada, and has been nominated for various prestigious DORA awards. His work has been presented both locally and internationally, and now, at York, premiering his newest production and creating an incredible opportunity for theatre students.

Reflecting on the rehearsal process, Amaral says that, “There has been a lot of hard work and dedication put into this production. The cast and crew have worked extremely hard on making this show come to life.”

“So many amazing people are working on this production to make it the best that it can possibly be. I feel extremely privileged to be a part of the storytelling of this original play that will be shown to the public for the very first time. I am so proud of this play and I can’t wait for everyone to see it,” adds Quintanilla, reflecting Amaral’s sentiment. 

Love in the Time of Werewolves will be presented in the Joseph G. Green Studio Theatre with multiple evening performances and some matinee options. To learn more about the play and get tickets, click here.

By Sydney Ewert

Arts Editor

arts@excal.on.ca

Sydney is in her third year at York University studying Dance. She loves to travel and explore new places. When Sydney is not editing, working, or studying for her classes, she is likely going for walks or learning new recipes.