Coordinates: presented by the dance department

(Courtesy of Tracey Norman)

On April 6, the dance department will present Coordinates, the first live York Dances performance from the department in over two years featuring 31 third-year dance students. 

“York Dances is a completely student-run show with guidance from faculty member Tracey Norman. It is the culminating project of the third-year choreography class where we talk about different modes of generating movement and ways in which to find connections, intentions, and purposes,” says Ysabel Garcia, a third-year student double majoring in dance and law and society.

“The theme around Coordinates discusses how we navigate through spaces, relationships, and identity. After a couple of years of collective societal confusion, these works push us to be present in the moment and with each other,” adds Ayden Mauro, a third-year dance and human rights and equity double major.

Kerry Halpin, a third-year dance and kinesiology student, will be presenting their choreography in Coordinates titled Slack Tide, and says that “it was an idea that started brewing in my mind when I was in first year and I decided to make my debut work at York inspired by it. Slack Tide brings the dancers through the highs and lows of life, showcased with the idea of sink or swim. The dancers explore the realization of life and how to not drown in their own thoughts.”

Amy Williams, a third-year dance student, will be presenting their piece titled Present Tense. “Through shared stories and improvisational prompts, this work aims to acknowledge the fundamental relationality between human beings and seeks to investigate the process of disintegration when our need for others is denied. We have all dealt with isolation, loneliness, and deep uncertainty. Unless we allow ourselves to unite with compassion for ourselves and others, we will continue to suffer this isolation we yearn to leave behind.”

“Audience members can expect to experience young emerging artists and dancers sharing personal opinions and ideas through movement that is reflected through internal and external factors,” says Julianna Greco, a third-year dance student.

“I am very grateful to be performing again in person after the pandemic, despite a challenging transition. When you’re in person, there is a connection of being surrounded with a like-minded community and it has given me more determination to work harder as an emerging artist,” adds Greco.

Coordinates also provides an opportunity for dance students to experiment with new styles and to explore their choreographic identities. 

“I have named my piece under the genre of Hyperpop. It is a new genre created by me,” says Ying Nan Shi, a fourth-year dance student. They add that while this is only the beginning, it pushes them to create industry-leading pieces.

Garcia explains that nothing would be possible without the immense support and commitment of artistic director, Norman, and that, “it has been so wonderful learning from her as an artist.”

“A lot of energy, creativity, teamwork, and patience has been put into this show and it is inspiring to be part of a group of creators working together to make this possible,” adds Mauro. 

To learn more about this performance or to purchase tickets, click here

By Sydney Ewert

Arts Editor

arts@excal.on.ca

Sydney is in her third year at York University studying Dance. She loves to travel and explore new places. When Sydney is not editing, working, or studying for her classes, she is likely going for walks or learning new recipes.