Terminal Station: a drawing exhibition by two visual art students

(Courtesy of York University)

From March 21 to 25, two visual art students, Abbie Mauno and Yuki Tam, will present Terminal Station, a drawing exhibition presented in the Gales Gallery, including an open reception on March 23.

Terminal Station is a love letter to contemporary life,” says Mauno, a sixth-year visual art student. “It is a celebration of letting yourself be profoundly affected by the world around you. 

“Our exhibition captures the moments in between where your mind can wander, whether you’re on the subway or walking down the street. It’s in these moments where the mystery and beauty of life becomes most clear,” Mauno adds.

“In a world that is constantly moving, commuting, and changing, we invite you to notice the small things,” adds Tam, a fourth-year student double majoring in visual art and human rights and equity studies.

“The way the light reflects off the window, the way that a stranger smiles at the dog, the way our hearts hurt and heal simultaneously — Terminal Station is about curiosity and gratitude towards the mundane.” 

Asha Cabaca, a recent visual arts graduate and member of the Visual Art Students Association, explains that it’s important for emerging artists to have the experience of independently installing and showing their work.

“Presenting their artwork outside of the classroom allows students to interact with a wider audience that does not necessarily have an art background. This opens up the possibility of varied and engaging dialogue around their work. Exhibitions also provide a great opportunity for the artists to document their work in context and it also helps to show the scale of the work, as well as the artist’s skills in curating their work,” says Cabaca. 

Cabaca says that an important step for helping students transition out of the school environment into the real art world is providing needed support in creating and showing their work. 

“On one hand, they have the support of peers, faculty, and staff, and on the other hand, they have the opportunity to independently explore their ideas and their approach to art making and exhibition.”

Tam says that from the exhibit, people can expect to be enchanted by “drawings, comics, and other works that are quiet, autobiographical, and loving. We are here to tell stories about our everyday life, about our passions, our pains, and our dreams.”

“We invite you to sit with us for a moment and experience a world where dreams and reality blur together, where discomfort and relief coexist, and where the mundane transforms into the philosophical. A few seconds can change your life forever,” says Mauno.

To learn more about this event, click here.

By Sydney Ewert

Arts Editor

arts@excal.on.ca

Sydney is in her third year at York University studying Dance. She loves to travel and explore new places. When Sydney is not editing, working, or studying for her classes, she is likely going for walks or learning new recipes.