York presents the 2022 Jazz Festival

(Courtesy of John Matychuk, Unsplash)

On March 15 to 17, York will present the Jazz Festival of 2022, featuring emerging jazz artists from the department of music.

This year, the Jazz Festival is presented in a hybrid format. Audience members have the option of viewing the performances online or in person at the Tribute Communities Recital Hall. The performances will be directed by several faculty members, including Mike Cadó, Roy Patterson, and Anthony Michelli, and many other talents.

Sundar Viswanathan, an associate professor of jazz in the music program and the jazz area coordinator, put together the groups featured in the festival and helped to organize the presentation, which happens twice a year.

“Audiences will hear a lot of different approaches to jazz compositions and some new, original music. The students are energetic and enthusiastic about sharing their jazz skills developed over the year, from interpreting melodies to improvising over structures. Also, the range of styles will be broad— from funky to vibrant— but all from a jazz perspective. Each instructor brings their own experience and expertise in shaping their group sound,” says Viswanathan.

“The jazz festival is a way to demonstrate the accumulated knowledge and practice that jazz students have acquired throughout their studies at York,” says Sloan Kenter, a fourth-year music student and the music representative for CASA, the Creative Arts Student Association.

“Current students can benefit from attending this festival by hearing professors and professional artists play, as well as learning more about jazz studies and analyzing this event using the knowledge they are gaining throughout their courses,” says Kenter.

Kenter adds that future students should look forward to attending the jazz festival because it offers a jazz perspective for students that might not be enrolled in jazz studies.

While attending this festival supports emerging jazz artists from the department of music at York, there are many cognitive benefits that come with listening to jazz music as audience members. 

Psychology Today explains that listening to jazz music can relieve stress, and in doing so, improves memory capabilities. In addition, listening to jazz music can also promote happiness. 

For jazz music players, there is an incredible mental simulation and playing this certain style can improve critical and creative thinking, patience, hand-eye coordination, and much more.

“The students and instructors have worked very hard to develop their repertoire over the past year. They’re keen and really happy to share their music with you,” adds Viswanathan.

To learn more about this event or to contact the box office to purchase tickets, click here

By Sydney Ewert

Arts Editor

arts@excal.on.ca

Sydney is in her third year at York University studying Dance. She loves to travel and explore new places. When Sydney is not editing, working, or studying for her classes, she is likely going for walks or learning new recipes.