Excalibur is now hiring an arts editor for its 2021-2022 Editorial Board!
This is a fantastic opportunity for students to gain professional experience and build their portfolio. If you are interested in applying (or have any questions), please send your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to email@example.com with the subject line: Arts Editor Application: [Last Name, First Name].
The position is paid (an honorarium) and the contract will run from January 2022 to April 2022.
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
– Should have a passion for arts and culture; since this includes a myriad of topics, the applicant should have a general interest in the field.
– Creative, tenacious, and ambitious with strong writing skills.
– Be able to work within tight deadlines, time management skills
– Excellent communication skills, as much of the job involves interviewing artists, strangers, and working in a team environment.
– Previous editing experience is not required, but it is considered an asset
– Pitching a minimum of two arts articles to the Editor-in-Chief weekly, except during reading week
– Recruiting volunteers to contribute
– Researching and writing articles weekly should volunteer writers not sign up, including interviewing relevant sources, artists, creators, and York community members
– Working with staff writers, artists, and volunteers to submit articles
– Editing articles when volunteers submit them for the arts section
– Maintaining a working relationship with York’s art community
– Ensuring ethical journalistic standards are met while maintaining a creative flair for the section
– Keeping up to date with all things arts and culture, including what’s happening in York’s art community
– Writing one editorial and one feature per semester