Excalibur is looking for a Managing Editor for its 2021-22 Editorial Board!

If you are interested in applying (or have any questions), please send your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to editor@excal.on.ca by June 2, 2021 with the subject line: “Managing Editor Application: [Last Name, First Name]“. 

The position is paid (an honorarium), and the work can be conducted remotely while the campus remains closed off due to the pandemic. The contract will run from September 2021 to April 2022.

Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

See details below.

MANAGING EDITOR

Qualifications:

– Must be familiar with social media management and Google Drive
– Must be somewhat familiar with WordPress and/or some Adobe programs for creating graphics/visuals
– Must have editing and writing experience (interview experience is an asset)
– Must have leadership/managerial experience
– Organized, creative, and practical
– Work well under tight deadlines
– Time management and communication skills
– Team player, respectful, stern 
– Being a previous editor, staff writer, or contributor is not required but definitely an asset

Responsibilities: 

– Managing and maintaining Excalibur’s social media platforms
– Creating visuals and images for social media
– Conducting final edits for written content alongside the Editor-in-Chief to ensure that all material published is of standard
– Providing feedback to editors and contributors where needed
– Scheduling and coordinating some of the staff meetings
– Supervising and managing the editorial board alongside the Editor-in-Chief
– Fulfilling the role and responsibilities of the Editor-in-Chief should they be unavailable
– Attending monthly Excalibur Board of Publisher meetings to provide a brief editorial update with the Editor-in-Chief
– Ensuring ethical journalistic standards are met, including that all material to be published is consistent with the ethical standards set out in the BoP by-laws, Staff Policies & Procedures Manual and the editorial policies set by the staff
– Conducting hiring during the school year alongside the Editor-in-Chief where needed
– Writing at least one editorial and one feature per semester

Excalibur is not affiliated with the work-study program. Excalibur invites all applicants to apply, and does not discriminate against any applicant, including, but not limited to, the following: age, ethnicity, gender identity, disability, national origin, race, or religion.

However, due to reasons pertaining to conflict of interest and editorial integrity, we cannot hire applicants that are simultaneously associated with organizations or clubs that are deemed political in nature, including but not limited to the York Federation of Students (YFS).

By Admin@Biz