A new take on Thanksgiving with Raptors Superfan Nav Bhatia and Club House

Superfan Nav Bhatia enjoys some classic Thanksgiving dishes with unique twists from around the world. (Courtesy of Club House)

Thanksgiving Day has arrived and as we all get some much needed time for togetherness amidst all the craziness going on, Canadians across the country are celebrating the same holiday in different ways. 

In an exciting new initiative with Raptors Superfan Nav Bhatia, the 137-year-old spice brand Club House set out to discover how new Canadians (those who have been in the country 12 years or less), hailing from countries all around the world, celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday. 

Club House’s survey revealed a lot of interesting information. 

According to the results, 81 per cent of Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving, and 41 per cent of those said they blend traditional Canadian Thanksgiving dishes with their own cultural foods. 

Additionally, around 29 per cent of those surveyed said they will be celebrating Thanksgiving with entirely traditional meals, and around 22 per cent of people stated their family holiday will comprise entirely of Canadian meals. 

The study found that the longer new Canadians have been in Canada, the higher the chances they will be celebrating Thanksgiving. Forty-one per cent of those surveyed said they will be hosting their own festivities compared to the 29 per cent who said they would be attending ones at other places. 

Half of new Canadians stated that the traditional turkey will be a part of their Thanksgiving meals, with tradition and flavour being the main reasons they cook their cherished dishes. 

“I always say if there is a heaven on earth, it is Canada. I am so thankful to be living in this country, where we embrace diversity and celebrate our differences.”

In speaking with us directly, the Superfan himself shared the significance of Thanksgiving to him, as an Indo-Canadian.

“For me, Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for everything we have and to be with family,” Bhatia says. I’m lucky because my family lives with me so I am able to be with them during this strange time, which is something I am very grateful for this year. I always say if there is a heaven on earth, it is Canada. I am so thankful to be living in this country, where we embrace diversity and celebrate our differences.”

Bhatia also took some time to explain the significance of his partnership with Club House, and how it promotes diverse cuisines for all Canadians to see. 

“I want my partnership with Club House to spread awareness of the diversity across our country and shine a light on the fact that not all Thanksgiving tables look the same, and food is a great way to bring people together.”

The partnership even allowed Bhatia to get in on the fun himself and try out some uniquely flavoured blends in the traditional Thanksgiving meals we all know and love. 

“This year, my family will be incorporating new recipes that were shared with me on social media. I reached out to Canadians and asked them to share their recipes and the country did not disappoint. I tasted some great twists on Thanksgiving classics, including an Asian-inspired pumpkin pie and curried apple, pear, and butternut squash soup,” Bhatia explains.

Raptors fans in the York community were thrilled to see Bhatia engaged in an initiative that promotes the spirit of Thanksgiving in a unique way. 

First-year computer science student Armani Araujo says: “With everything that’s going on right now, Nav’s partnership with Club House is really bringing families and cultures together.

“Canada is a mosaic of many cultures, and it is nice to see how this one man is bringing us all together through something that we all love — food.”

By Shivam Sachdeva

Shivam is a driven undergraduate Political Science student with a penchant for health, wellness, and communicating it to people. He believes living a healthy life equates to a happy life, and rejoices in learning all kinds of new health facts that can practically improve people's wellbeing. As his experience with professional writing continues to grow, he hopes to pursue a career in either journalism or law. When Shivam is not writing, you can likely find him working out, playing tennis, hanging out with friends or wasting endless hours going down YouTube rabbit holes.